- 9:00 AM – State Representative Mike Ball
- Sometime this morning – Madison County Democrat Chairman Tom Ryan
The Democrat National Convention is shaping up to be a mess…
After the former chairman resigns, she was immediately hired by the people she was pushed out for helping.
That’s a pretty sweet reward!
An aide to presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton says “Russian state actors” leaked Democratic National Committee emails on the eve of the party’s convention in order to help Republican presidential nomineeDonald Trump.
“What’s disturbing to us is experts are telling us Russian state actors broke into the DNC, stole these emails, and other experts are now saying the Russians are releasing these emails for the purpose of helping Donald Trump,” Clintoncampaign manager Robby Mook said Sunday on CNN’s “State of the Union.” “I don’t think it’s coincidental that these emails were released on the eve of our convention here.”
Mr. Mook suggested there was a tie between the release of the emails and pro-Russia sentiment echoing from the Republican National Convention.
He pointed to Mr. Trump’s comments that the United States should not necessarily comes to the defense of its NATO allies in the event of an attack from Russia.
“I think we need to be concerned that we also saw last week at the Republican convention that Trump and his allies made changes to the Republican platform to make it more pro-Russian, and we saw him talk about how NATO shouldn’t intervene to defend — necessarily should intervene to defend our Eastern European allies if they are attacked by Russia,” Mr. Mook said.
It will be weeks before the import of the leaks is fully understood. However, the leaks have already claimed their first victim: Debbie Wasserman Schultz. Schultz has pledged to step down as chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee.
The DNC is the body responsible for selecting the next Democratic presidential candidate. The disgrace and resignation of Debbie Schultz vindicates Bernie Sanders, who has always taken the stance that, under Schultz, the DNC was an arm of the Clinton campaign.
He’s on to something…
Poor… poor… poor Hillary…
Two people were killed and more than 14 injured after a shooting at a nightclub in Fort Myers, Florida.
The shooting happened early Monday morning at Club Blu Bar and Grill, where 17 people were shot around 12:30 a.m.
Three people have been taken into custody.
According to CNN, there were at least 36 evidence markers at the scene. Police did not say how many shots were fired in the club.
Fort Myers police Capt. Jim Mulligan said that there are two active crime scenes, but that the area has been declared safe.
I’d guess not based on multiple crime scenes and suspects who are alive.
First blush, gang related.
A failed asylum-seeker from Syria blew himself up and wounded 12 people after being turned away from an open-air music festival in southern Germany, authorities said Monday. It was the fourth attack to shake Germany in a week — three of them carried out by recent immigrants.
The 27-year-old set off explosives he was carrying in a backpack at a bar shortly after 10 p.m. Sunday, having been refused entry to the festival in the southern town of Ansbach because he didn’t have a ticket.
Roman Fertinger, the deputy police chief in nearby Nueremberg, said it was likely there would have been more casualties if the man had managed to enter the concert venue.
Three of the 12 victims suffered serious injuries in the blast. The attacker’s pack had contained sharp bits of metal.
“My personal view is that I unfortunately think it’s very likely this really was an Islamist suicide attack,” Bavarian interior minister Joachim Herrmann told German news agency dpa.
It was the third act of violence in southern Germany in the past two weeks.
On July 18, police shot dead a 17-year-old asylum-seeker who injured people on a train near the Bavarian city of Würzburg with an axe.
A 18-year-old German of Iranian descent, who obsessively researched mass shootings, killed nine people on a shooting spree in Munich.
Secretary of State John Kerry said in Vienna on Friday that air conditioners and refrigerators are as big of a threat to life as the threat of terrorism posed by groups like the Islamic State.
The Washington Examiner reported that Kerry was in Vienna to amend the 1987 Montreal Protocol that would phase out hydrofluorocarbons, or HFCs, from basic household and commercial appliances like air conditioners, refrigerators, and inhalers.
“As we were working together on the challenge of [ISIS] and terrorism,” Kerry said. “It’s hard for some people to grasp it, but what we–you–are doing here right now is of equal importance because it has the ability to literally save life on the planet itself.”
Kerry said that most of the substances banned in the Montreal Protocol have increased the use of HFCs and claimed that the coolant was thousands of times more potent than CO2. He added that the increase of HFCs has led to the trend of global climate change.
“The use of hydrofluorocarbons is unfortunately growing,” Kerry said. “Already, the HFCs use in refrigerators, air conditioners, and other items are emitting an entire gigaton of carbon dioxide-equivalent pollution into the atmosphere annually. Now, if that sounds like a lot, my friends, it’s because it is. It’s the equivalent to emissions from nearly 300 coal-fired power plants every single year.”
Members of the Montreal Protocol have met their obligations and have aided in the shrinking of the hole in the ozone, as well as created jobs and improved the quality of life, Kerry said.
The superintendent of the Elmore County School District has changed his mind about banning the song “Amazing Grace” from the Holtville High School’s halftime show.
He announced today that he will allow the song to be played during this fall’s football halftime shows.
Dr. Andre’ Harrison said that the same person who complained to the district about the song also called the school’s central office twice to say that the playing of “Amazing Grace” was unconstitutional.
“After word of my decision circulated, I heard from many concerned parents, and frankly I still had reservations about my initial decision. I asked counsel to do further research on this issue and present me with options that would keep the district in legal compliance, but permit performance of one of the most iconic songs in the history of our nation,” Harrison said today.
Initially, Harrison said, “I was reminded that, as a public school, we simply cannot endorse a religious message in our activities. I completely understand the frustration of some of our parents, but we have an obligation to follow the law, even when we don’t want to.”
One wedding officiant thought she was having a normal day at work yesterday, until police interrupted the ceremony while chasing a half-naked man through a pond.
The incident occurred at Big Spring Park in Huntsville, where Rachel Halligan said she arrived at the gazebo area around 3:30 p.m. Saturday afternoon.
She said she was afraid when she first got to the park because there was a large police presence.
“I didn’t see him at first… I just saw something red sticking out of the water,” she said.
Upon further inspection, and talking to some of the people who had gathered in a large crowd by the pond, she realized the “something” was a naked man.
Cruz favorability plummets…
House Minority Leader Craig Ford, D-Gadsden, announced today that he will pre-file a pair lottery bills next week in anticipation of the governor calling a special legislative session. Rep. Ford said he will also pre-file the bills for the 2017 Regular Legislative Session if a lottery is not passed during a special legislative session.
Rep. Ford is introducing two lottery proposals: one that only includes a lottery, and a second that includes both a lottery and casino gambling. Both proposals would allocate 100 percent of the lottery revenue into the education budget for scholarships to two- and four-year public colleges and universities.
“Everywhere I go, people ask me, ‘when are we going to get a lottery? Why won’t the legislature let us vote?’” said Rep. Ford. “The bills I am introducing will give people an option: we can have a lottery, we can have a lottery with casinos, or we can reject them both. But let’s let put it all out there and let the people decide it once and for all.”
Unlike his previous lottery proposals, which provided up to four years of scholarships to students who had been on the A/B Honor Roll in high school, Rep. Ford’s new lottery proposal would open up scholarship eligibility to anyone who gets accepted to a public two- or four-year college or university, and would only provide funding for the first two years of higher education.
“The idea has always been to help people get a job, and that’s why I made these changes,” said Ford. “I don’t want to exclude good students who may have made a few Cs and Ds along the way, and I wanted to make it possible so that, for example, if you’ve got a guy who’s been working in a coal mine for the last ten or fifteen years and he gets laid off, now he can go back and get his associates degree in a new trade.”
The lottery has been gaining support among legislators over the past two years, but some Republican legislators have said the lottery should be used to prop up budget shortfalls in the general fund budget; a proposal that Rep. Ford says would not solve those budget problems and would not have the support of the people.
He knows this has no chance, but he keeps pushing it so teachers and the AEA will keep supporting him.
Filed under: Uncategorized |