Cinco de Mayo is SUPER OFFENSIVE, bro!
Spokesmen for George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush told The Texas Tribune Wednesday that the 41st and 43rd presidents will stay on the sideline this time.
George W. Bush’s personal aide, Freddy Ford, said that his boss “does not plan to participate in or comment on the presidential campaign.”
“At age 91, President Bush is retired from politics,” Bush 41 spokesman Jim McGrath wrote in an email to the website. “He came out of retirement to do a few things for Jeb, but those were the exceptions that proved the rule.”
Never-gonna-be-President Trump to Mexico?
“You know who started the birth movement? You know who started it? Do you know who questioned his birth certificate, one of the first? Hillary Clinton,” Trump told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer on Wednesday. “She’s the one that started it. She brought it up years before it was brought up by me.”
“She did it first, so I did it too.” Smarty.
Donald Trump said Wednesday that he never believed Ted Cruz’s father was connected to the assassination of John F. Kennedy, just one day after floating a conspiracy theory which suggested exactly that during an interview on national television.
Speaking with CNN host Wolf Blitzer, Trump repeatedly said he never thought the theory he cited held water: “Of course I don’t believe it. I wouldn’t believe it. But I did say, let people read it.”
Governor Robert Bentley‘s massive plan to build four new prisons faced an eleventh-hour failure as it died Wednesday, just minutes before the Alabama Legislature’s 2016 session wrapped at midnight.
Earlier in the evening, a conference committee reached a compromise and scaled back Bentley’sprison construction plan to include two new men’s prisons, rather than the initial three, and a new women’s prison to replace Julia Tutwiler Prison. It also dropped the maximum amount of the bond issue from $800 million to $550 million.
As clock countdown to midnight, the Senate passed the compromise 23-12 as the clock read 10:50 p.m., granting the House 70 minutes to tackle the bill.
But the bill was never brought up in the House before time expired Wednesday night.
Auburn-Republican, House Speaker Mike Hubbard, said the legislation did not have the votes to break an inevitable filibuster in the chamber.
So is the monument bill…
Gov. Bentley signs Leni’s Law…
The Oxford City Council today voted 3-2 to rescind its controversial public restroom ordinance, a little more than a week after it was passed.
Council members Charlotte Hubbard, Phil Gardner and Mike Henderson voted to rescind the ordinance, while Council President Steven Waits and Councilman Chris Spurlin voted to keep it.
The council was able to reconsider the ordinance, Hubbard said, because it had not yet been signed by Mayor Leon Smith, who is ill.
Last week, Oxford’s city council made it a misdemeanor punishable by a $500 fine or six months in jail to use a bathroom opposite the person’s biological sex at birth. The ordinance came in response to a change is policy by national chain Target.
The retailer announced it would allow transgender employees and shoppers to use the restroom that matches their gender identity as opposed to the gender with which they were born.
Filed under: Uncategorized